Whether it is a construction site, ice cream factory or a designer’s studio, there is a range of common health issues that occur in all workplaces, affecting employees, families, and business all over. Check out the work related frequently faced health issues, and their prevention.
Creative designs need close attention. Whether you are solo or part of a team, you need to put your 100% effort to bring out the most creative and innovative design. There is also the combination of “project deadline” that you need to keep in mind. It causes a continuous eye strain. And along with eyes, the brain is also affected. It can be fatal for one who is workaholic. Constantly focusing on the screen without blinking can cause dry eyes. Even, returning home when you relax in front of another screen (Television/PC/cell phone) other than doing fitness activity.
- Wash your face and eyes at frequent intervals with cold water
- Give rest to your eyes. Rub the palms till it warm and then place them gently over the eyes
- Do light exercise to improve the eyesight. Rotate your eyeballs, clockwise and anti-clockwise. Do not forget to repeat it
- Sound sleep is essential for the renewal process in the body, especially in the eyes
- Diet should include healthy foods like lots of green veggies, dry fruits. Try to avoid too much non-veggie, spicy and preservative laden foods
A headache grows from tension. It affects almost 80% people in all industries. But the consequence is more for the graphic designers. Sitting in front of the computer for a longer time (sometimes it is more that 15hrs) raises the physical inactivity and anxiety. Results in a headache. It is good that what and how you do your work for the best output, but make sure that your working life should not hurt your heart or your head. A headache, if lasts for more than two weeks, it can become chronic.
- Manage workplace stress
- Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated
- Try to go to bed early and aim to sleep at least eight hours per night
- Start setting firm meal times
Graphic designers need to be seated for long hours to complete their designs. 99% design work are done in the computer. And the most common complaints of regular computer users are the pain in the neck, shoulder, or anywhere from the shoulder to fingers may indicate repetitive stress injury. Problems mainly occur because of the posture while using the computer is not correct.
- Change position frequently
- Setup a properly positioned workstation
- Learn the right physical posture
- Maintain fitness and flexibility
- Try chiropractic care to correct spinal misalignment
- Try massage therapy that promotes a relaxed state
- If possible use an ergonomic chair
Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is a complicated disorder characterized by extreme fatigue that is hard to explain the actual reason. But the fatigue may worsen with physical or mental activity but doesn’t improve with rest. This CFS affects the person severely. The affected person may lose activity levels, impaired memory or concentration, muscle pain, depression or mood problems, allergies to foods, odors, chemicals, medications, or noise and more. Psychiatric problems, such as stress and emotional trauma are considered to be the primary cause for the designers to get affected by chronic fatigue.
Prevention:As there is no prevention recommended, one can control by the doing the followings-
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Graded exercise therapy (a structured exercise program)
- Medication to control pain, nausea and sleeping problems well-balanced diet and regular eating
Prolonged use of computers is the main cause of obesity. It happens to the designers mostly as due to work pressure they used to eat sitting at their workplace and move too little comparing to eat. Also having the habit of junk food and soft drinks contributes a lot to the Obesity disorder.
- Frequency of eating need to decrease
- Adopt some physical activity
- Diet food habit growing
Technology has a huge impact on our behavior and emotions. Factors like poor health, work pressure, and job environment can make the designer stressful. It arises from anticipated demands and pressures of the growing popularity of graphic design globally. Stress disorders can lead to loss of concentration, dizziness, and weariness. Stress is blamed for being the co-factor in 95% or all disease processes.
- Well balanced meal is must have. Also, keep energy giving snacks in hand
- Take out some time for listening music, practice some yoga or meditation
- Keep exercise in daily routine
- Limit alcohol and caffeine
- Get enough sleep
- Maintain the attitude that you can do everything that you want
- Talk to a friend. This will help you to reduce your stress to a great extent
Being a graphic designer or a design agency owner, you need to be careful about your physical and mental health. Following the prevention measures will lower the risk of getting affected. An effective safety and health program in the workplace could save $5-$10 for every $5 invested in it.